Saturday, 26 November 2011

An update on what I have been knitting

I forgot to take a picture of the fern lace scarf I made a couple of weeks ago so here it is, what do you think? I think it looks quite good despite it taking a long time to knit i just wish there had been enough yarn to make it a little longer but my mum loves it so I Guss it's irrelevant.

My Nephew's twin cousins are expected to be born in late November/December so I have decided to make them matching baby jackets, I found the pattern for these in one of my machine knitting monthly magazines, the pattern is written for the lk 150 but will work with all mid gauge machines, when I looked at the sizes the smallest size was newborn and that would of been to big so all I did was knit the newborn size on the standard gauge machine, still using the double knit yarn as the pattern suggested. I didn't knit a gauge swatch because I had no hesitation that it would of come out wrong, I don't know why I felt this way I just did lol.
This is what the jacket is supposed to look like, if you are wondering what the pattern is, it is a 2x2 rib style design accept it is garter stitch mixed with stocking stitch, oh it is hard to explain so I hope you get what I mean.This is what mine looks like (bellow) and I am pleased with it, it is a perfect size, I think I will need to steam those font edges because as you can see it wants to keep flipping underneath it's self. I now have to knit the next one which I have started and have knitted up to the armholes, this pattern is very tedious as you have to reform two stitches one row down then skip two stitches all across the row, using the latch tool every two rows. It is extremely time consuming but to be honest I think it is worth the effort in the end, it must of taken me about four days to complete this jacket, where as if it was just plain it could have taken me just a day.


If you are wondering what the £10 note underneath it is for, it is to give you an idea of how small this jacket really is, WOW........ (It's really hard to knit something for someone who isn't even here yet!! lol)


Talk to you later


Alex

Wednesday, 16 November 2011

It is finally finished!!

I am sorry I haven't done a post for a little while I had been meaning to finish that tuck stitch pullover that I was knitting for my self, I had been putting it off as I have been making some more Christmas projects. This sweater was starting to turn into a UFO I don't know why I didn't just finish that last side seam last week, I am terrible for starting something, half sewing it up and then starting something else, lol never mind, it is finished now and that is all that matters, hear it is.

I am glad I picked it up this evening and just got on with it and finished it, now I can start knitting my next progect but I am not sure what, I might just continue with my christmas knits for now, I made this beautiful furn lace scarf the other day on the lk 150, I shall post a photo tomorrow.

Talk to you later
Alex

Friday, 4 November 2011

It's here!! I can't wait to start 'ribbing' on it!

Yesterday I received my knitmaster SR 155 ribber and I have to say it was absolutely disgusting when I tuck it out the box, it was full of fluff and some surface rust. The ribber was waiting for me when I got home from college yesterday, I was really hyper and couldn't wait to open it, once I removed all the packaging it looked in good condition, the only thing really was all the fluff, the surface rust is on the front where the needles come out, I smoothed it down with some WD-40 and it isn't ruff at all anymore despite it looking so, to be honest thinking about it now I think it might be where the metal has pealed off as I am assuming these machines are metal plated? this will of probably of happened because of where it was stored in the past. Other than that the ribber is fine I cleaned it all up and now it is fit for use, the needles and carriage run very smoothly and surprisingly the sponge bar has plenty of life left in it. Here are some pictures as promised.

The ribber is just inserted into the machine it isn't secured down to by clamps this is just for photo purposes lol, it looks so weird with a ribber attached to this machine lol.

I managed to find four large and the two small ribber weights in one of my knitting box's I had these from one of my standard gauge ribbers form a couple of years ago. The chunky double eye transfer tool came with the machine, I actually found this inside the ribber needle bed it's self, when I brought all the needles out to D to check them it was jammed at the left hand side inside the bed preventing the four end needles from coming out so I managed to remove it, that is something else I can cross off the spares list.

This is the surface rust/oxidisation it isn't that bad I don't suppose, I would rather it not be there but it isn't causing any problems with the ribber so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Not too bad for the price I paid, so when I get my combs and clamps I can finally do away with those tedious latched up ribs, I have an English rib sweater in mind for sometime in the future. Oh just before I end this post I have nearlly finished the tuck pullover for myself, it is all sewn up apart form one side seam, then I need to weave in the ends, I will post a picture in a day or two, that's all for now.

Talk to you later
Alex